Group Ride Permit
Special Activities Permit Agreement
For Use of the Great Allegheny Passage for Organized Group Rides
Permits are required for any commercial activities or organized group activities (e.g. fundraising rides) taking place along the Great Allegheny Passage. Special activities include any ride where participants are being charged a fee to participate or with a group larger than 25 participants. If the event charges a fee but is sponsored by a non-profit organization, it may be exempt from a permit fee. If a group wishes to set up tables, signs, rest/transition areas on trail property or host an event on the trail, please indicate needs and the appropriate local trail organization will contact you directly.
If your event will be in Ohiopyle State Park, between Confluence (mile 62) and Connellsville (mile 88), a Commercial Use License may be required. A one-time or long term agreement is available. To secure this license, please contact the State Park directly: P.O. Box 105 Ohiopyle PA 15470, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Ohiopyle State Park office at 724-329-8591.
To request a Permit for an Organized Group Ride, please fill out the following form, include a $25 permit application fee for a one-time use, or $50 for a calendar year permit, and mail to: RTC/ATA, P.O. Box 95 West Newton, PA 15089. Please contact Leslie Pierce at 724-872-5586 / email@example.com for availability questions. (FAX: 724-872-1305)
Enclose a Certificate of Commercial Liability Insurance, naming the “Regional Trail Corporation/Allegheny Trail Alliance” and all entities listed beside the trail sections checked, indicating the location of your activity, as additional insured. Insurance limits are $1,000,000 each occurrence, $2,000,000 aggregate. For commercial operators, please enclose a copy of your Workers Compensation certificate. Make checks payable to & mail application to: RTC/ATA, P.O. Box 95, West Newton, PA 15089
General Rules and Guidelines
- Trail is open from dawn to dusk
- Maximum speed is 15 mph
- By state law, cyclists under the age of 12 must wear helmets
- No vehicles powered by internal combustion are permitted on the trail, except for maintenance and emergency purposes
- Wheelchairs and similar devices built specifically for mobility disabilities are allowed
- Other power-driven mobility devices, not specifically designed for disabilities, may be used in Pennsylvania, provided:
- Motors on electric vehicles are 250 watts or less
- Devices weigh less than 100 lbs.
- Device are no more than 36" wide
- Devices have fully operating pedals
- No fires or camping, except in designated areas
- Consumption of alcohol is prohibited
- Leash and control your pet; please remove pet waste
- Horseback riding is permitted in designated areas only
- Keep to the right. Pass on the left
- Give an audible signal when passing other trail users
- Stay on the trail and please respect private property
- For emergencies, call 911
ORGANIZED GROUP RIDE PERMIT APPLICATION FOR THE GREAT ALLEGHENY PASSAGE
For multiple events sponsored by the same organization in the same calendar year,
please submit a form for each separate trip or event.
1. Date(s) of Activity: _____________________________________________________________
2. Time(s): ______________________________________________________________________
3. Event/Group Name: ____________________________________________________________
Non-Profit ___ or For Profit ___
4. Contact Person: _______________________________________________________________
5. Contact Address: _____________________________________________________________
Phone: ___________________________ E-mail: _____________________________________
6. Estimated Number of Participants: ___________Fee charged? Yes __ No ___
7. Location of Activity (Please check all that are necessary)
___ Cumberland, MD to State Line (Allegany County, MD)
___ State Line to Confluence, PA (Somerset County, PA)
___ Ohiopyle State Park (Contact the park office directly for license agreement)
___ Connellsville to McKeesport, PA (Regional Trail Corporation)
___ City of McKeesport (City of McKeesport, PA)
___ McKeesport to Homestead (Regional Trail Corporation)
Starting and Ending Point:_____________________________________________________
8. Type of Activity: ____________________________________________________________
9. Specific Requests or Details (i.e. requests to set up tables, open gates, etc):
PLEASE INCLUDE THE PERMIT APPLICATION FEE: ___$25 one-time use or ___$50 calendar year use
The Permittee hereby agrees to hold the Regional Trail Corporation/Allegheny Trail Alliance/Great Allegheny Passage and its member organizations harmless for any and all claims for damages or injuries to persons or property resulting from the violation of any aforementioned rules, regulations, or ordinances and will be responsible for the group’s behavior and/or actions. It is required that groups of minors be provided with sufficient adult supervision.
SIGNATURE_____________________________________________ DATE ________________
(unsigned applications will not be processed)
___ Enclose a Certificate of Commercial Liability Insurance as stated in paragraph #4 on page 1.
Failing to do so may delay or deny your request.
___ For commercial operators, please enclose a copy of your Workers Compensation certificate.
___ Make checks payable to & mail application to: RTC/ATA, P.O. Box 95, West Newton, PA 15089